Nov 15, 2006

20 Weeks Pregnant

At week 18 we caught a sideways look in the mirror and my belly has popped. There’s no chance of it being mistaken for a “pooch” now!

The baby’s movements are now consciously directed and it is sitting cross legged, reclining, sucking its thumb, and turning somersaults. During week 19 I could say with certainty that I was feeling periodic kicks. There were no “butterflies in the stomach” feelings like we read about, just a firm bump.

The baby’s sense of hearing is developing and its ears are standing out from the sides of its head. We have begun talking and singing to the baby and hope to make it a habit.

The baby’s brain is designating specialized areas for its five senses; the retinas are light sensitive; buds are appearing for both permanent and baby teeth; and scalp hair and toenails are beginning to grow. The baby is also swallowing more now, which is good practice for its digestive system.

At our 20 week appointment we had our second ultrasound and learned the sex of the baby…it’s our secret until Thanksgiving though! The ultrasound technician had their work cut out for them because the baby was moving around like crazy. I think eating Japanese food for lunch did the trick.

The baby is approximately 14 ounces and 10 inches long. The doctors said the baby appears perfectly healthy by all accounts and our due date seems right on track. I am doing great as well and the nausea only comes occasionally now; there are more good days than bad. I have gained four pounds so far and the “norm” from this point forward is to gain about one pound per week.