Oct 23, 2006

17 Weeks Pregnant

Today we had our latest OB appointment. I've gained 1.5 pounds so far in the pregnancy, but as you can see, I'm definitely "showing!" Over the last few weeks I've pulled together a whole new maternity wardrobe from consignment shops, Mom Neve, and a JCPenney's sale.
Since October started, only traces of nausea remain and I've begun working some small jobs. The doctor says since I'm still feeling a little yucky, I'll likely feel that way until the end (40 weeks).
At 17 weeks pregnant, my heart is now pumping 40% more blood than normal. The baby is 5-6" long; its major organs are functioning, and its bones are hardening. Finger nails have developed and the baby's fingers and toes are separated. The baby can make facial expressions and is moving some, but only involuntarily as it doesn't yet have control over its muscles. As a first time Mom, I should feel the baby moving by 22 weeks.