
We had a nice, relaxing Christmas and New Year. I feel great on days when I’ve had enough sleep. About every other day Will graciously provides massages for trouble spots in my back and hips that sometimes keep me awake at night. Walks, baths, yoga, Tylenol, and a frequent schedule of chiropractic appointments and massages also help keep a lot of the pain at bay.
Baby and I are both growing at a healthy rate. Baby Neve is now over 14 inches long and weighs over 2 pounds – doubling her weight in just four weeks! Her skin is still loose and wrinkly but her fat layers are beginning to form. I do my best to provide the “good” fat she needs. With my squished stomach I can no longer eat normal-sized meals without feeling sick afterwards, but I graze constantly from 2-9PM. My cravings are mostly fruit, yogurt, and bran flakes.
Baby Neve has developed a great deal the last month, most importantly gearing up for air intake. Blood vessels are developing in the lungs and the baby’s nostrils have unplugged allowing her to begin taking practice breaths (of amniotic fluid, of course). She can even cough. From this point forward and with ICU breathing assistance, she could survive a preterm birth.
The baby's taste buds are very developed now, too. About two hours after I eat, the baby is able to taste the difference in the amniotic fluid. Some babies will even respond to a spicy meal by hiccupping.
Baby Neve opens her eyes now, blinks, and even has rapid eye movements. She’s developing regular, predictable patterns of sleep and movement.
Although space in the womb is getting tighter, she’s still quite active. She's practicing using her arms and legs and is already showing a preference toward being either left or right-handed. She can touch and hold her feet and make a fist. The other night I thought she was trying to create a new exit route from the womb via my right side! Most times when she kicks, I like to push back with my finger and she’ll kick me again. It’s my new favorite pastime and its how Nana Neve and my friend Jen got to feel the baby kick at Christmas time.